The office of the Dean of Students is the chief liaison office on all matters relating to student affairs in the University.
It works closely with all University departments to develop mechanisms and systems to promptly, effectively and efficiently respond to students needs.
Objectives of the D.O.S OFFICE
- To advise students on matters regarding their welfare in areas such as Higher Education Loans Board (HELB), Counselling, Games and Sports, Halls of Residence, Medical affairs and others.
- To develop and implement programmes and activities that support students educational experience and holistic living in general.
- To enhance students’ recreation and relaxation activities through organizing social functions and other forms of entertainment
- To liaise with the South Eastern University Students’ Organization (SEUSO) to ensure students’ representation in decision making process
- To promote students discipline and good mannerisms through identifying disciplinary cases amongst students and administering intervention as appropriate.
- To ensure that in addition to excelling in the academic area, students also develop in areas such as leadership skills, moral reasoning, social intelligence and other skills that are required in their lives
- To enhance and oversee the registration and organization of Religious Movements, Student Clubs and Associations
Games, Sports and Entertainment.
Games and sports are a valuable form of education. They are an integral part of university life and are used as a means of developing wholesome attitudes and good human relations as well as knowledge and skills. The university has taken part in Inter-University games Nationally and in the wider East African Community. South Eastern Kenya University(SEKU) has a variety of well established sports opportunities with sports such as soccer, handball, indoor games amongst others
HIV/AIDS Control unit
South Eastern Kenya University(SEKU), in the spirit of collaborating and joining hands with significant others to kick HIV/AIDS out of Kenya, has developed this department as a response to the pandemic. Its main endeavour is to provide information, care and treatment to students, staff and the neighbouring community on HIV/AIDS, its prevention, control and intervention. Services offered include VCT, PMTCT, VMMC, OIs, ART, PEP amongst others.
Guidance and Counselling
The aim of this department is to relate with students in a supportive, non-judgemental and purposeful manner and assist them in the task of finding solutions and gaining capacity to deal with everyday problems and difficulties in life. We seek to utilize appropriate intervention approaches of counselling in an arena of confidentiality and professionalism to help students experiencing emotional, and psychological difficulties that get in their way of excelling in their academic, social, career development and other personal needs acquisition.
The University , through the office of the Dean of Students is in the process of establishing fully fledged Christian and Muslim chaplaincies to take care of students’ spiritual needs. Currently, strong Christian Union and Young Christian Students Organizations run by students exist. The two organizations regularly organize Christian functions e.g. Sunday Mass and service for Catholic and Protestant students respectively as well as other Christian functions.
Bonding and team building activities.
Excursions to Historical, Cultural and Conservation Significant sites of Kenya.
Public lectures and talks from expert speakers and professionals who have exemplarily mastered in the following respective fields:-
- · HIV/AIDS
· Alcohol, Drugs and Substance abuse
· Time management
· Choices/personal decision making skills
· Negotiation and Conflict Resolution in tertiary educational institutions
· Confidence and self-esteem
· Youth and Environment
· Coping with and managing peer pressure
· Effective Communication
· Stress Management
1. Dean of Students
Prof. S. Muthwii
2. Games and Sports
3. HIV/AIDS Control Unit
Mr. Moses Musembi
4. Guidance and Counselling
Ms. Elizabeth Mbithi
Office of the Dean of Students
P.O Box 170 - 90200,
Kitui , Kenya
The office of the Dean of Students’ shall be open for service delivery to students every working day from 10:00am-1:00pm and 2:00pm– 4:00pm