The School of Education is one of the schools in South Eastern Kenya University(SEKU). It admitted its first batch of Self-sponsored Bachelor of Education (Arts) students in May, 2011 both in Main and Kitui Campuses. The first intake of B.Ed (Arts) School-Based students commenced their studies on 8th August, 2011 in Kitui, Machakos and Emali Campuses. The B.Ed (Science) School-Based programme will be launched in the Main Campus soon.
The School of Education comprises of four departments; namely:
· Educational Administration and Planning
· Educational Communication and Technology,
· Educational Foundations, and
· Educational Psychology,
A School for the transformation of society through quality teacher education
To train, research and disseminate knowledge on educational practices for national and regional development.
The School of Education is committed to quality in the creation and dissemination of knowledge in the field of Education to the fullest satisfaction of society’s high-level manpower requirements for the achievement of national goals of development and Vision 2030 through production of highly qualified human resource.
The School strives to:
· Offer quality and innovative teacher education programmes
· Ground student-teachers in professional school practice
· Undertake research in the area of education aiming at offering practical solutions to problems
· Produce highly qualified manpower for national development
· Engage in consultancy and other services to support and develop the quality of educational systems and related fields of policy and practice
The School offers the following programmes:
1. Bachelor of Education (B.Ed - Arts) and
2. Bachelor of Education (B.Ed - Science)
Admission Requirements: KCSE mean grade of C+ with C+ in any two subjects taught in secondary school, or KACE ( 2 principal passes or its equivalent); or Professional qualifications such as Dip. Early Childhood Education, Teachers Certificate (S1), or P1 Certificate and three years teaching experience with KCSE mean grade of C (Plain).
Duration: Eight semesters.
Venue: Main Campus, Kitui, Emali and Machakos Campuses.
Mode: Full-time, school-based and Evening and weekends
Note: B.Ed (Science) is available in full-time and school-based mode only in the Main campus.
1. Diploma in Early Childhood Education
- Admission Requirements: KCSE mean grade of C (Plain) or its equivalent; KCE with a minimum of Division III; P1 certificate with C (minus).
2. Bachelor of Education (B.Ed – Early Childhood Education)
- Admission Requirements: KCSE mean grade of C+, or KACE (2 principal passes or its equivalent); or Professional qualifications such as Dip. Early Childhood Education, Teachers Certificate (S1), or P1 Certificate and three years teaching experience with KCSE mean grade of C (Plain).
3. Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
- Admission Requirements: Bachelors degree of at least a pass with two subjects taught in secondary school.
Duration: One academic year
Venue: Main, Kitui, Machakos, Nairobi CBD campus, Wote Town Campus and Mwingi Campuses.
Mode: Full-time and school-based
4. Masters Programmes
· Educational Administration
· Curriculum Studies
· Economics of Education
· Educational Planning
· Sociology of Education
· Philosophy of Education
· History of Education
· Comparative and Contemporary Education
Admission Requirements: Second Class Honours (Upper Division) or its equivalent in the related area/subject or Second Class Honours (Lower Division) with two years of working experience.
Duration: Two academic years
Venue: Main, Kitui and Machakos Campuses.
Mode: Full-time and school-based
Options: Course work and Thesis or Course work and Project
Members of Staff
The Faculty has the following highly qualified members of teaching staff:
i. Muola, James M.(PhD), Senior Lecturer in Educational Psychology
ii. Migosi, Joash (PhD), Lecturer in Educational Administration and Planning
iii. Rugar, Thaddeus (PhD), Lecturer in Educational Administration and Planning
iv. Maithya, Redempta (PhD), Lecturer in Educational Administration and Planning.
v. Several part-time lecturers.
For further information contact:
Dr. James M. Muola
Ag. Dean, School of Education,
South Eastern Kenya University(SEKU)
P.O. Box 170 – 90200, KITUI,
Tel. 0721228621 or 0734564443.
Telephone: +254-20-2413859 (KITUI) OR +254-20-2531395 (NAIROBI)